When you think of a cleanse, what comes to mind? For most of us, it’s probably an image of a person standing in front of a bathroom mirror with the soap dispenser in their hand and a bottle of mouthwash at the ready. But for others, it’s actually about something much deeper. A cleanse is about looking inward and learning how to live a healthier lifestyle that doesn’t involve binging on junk food or running from one fast-food joint to another. Detoxing is becoming an important part of that healthy lifestyle – and not just because you need to do it from time to time. Let’s take a look at why that is, and what you can do to get started.
How to Do a Detox
Before we go into the how and why of detoxing, let’s go over what constitutes a detox in the first place. A detox, as the name implies, is a period during which you “detox” your body – helping it to cleanse any harmful toxins that may have accumulated over time, and giving it the nutrients, it may have been short on. There are many different forms of detox, ranging from highly restrictive to more liberal, but the main goal is the same: to flush your body of potentially harmful toxins that have built up over time. Many people choose to do a detox for one of two reasons: to lose weight or to improve their health.
The Health Benefits of Detoxing
A clean, toxin-free body is not just an idealized concept. It’s a reality, and there are many benefits to detoxing. From improving your overall health to helping you reach your fitness goals; detoxing can do it all. Let’s take a closer look at why detoxing can be so beneficial for your body and your overall health.
Image Source: Pixabay
- Improved Energy Levels – When you detox, you eliminate toxins from your body that can cause fatigue, and you also replenish electrolytes, which can help you feel more energetic and less fatigued throughout the day.
- Better Immunity – Consuming detox drinks can help you boost your immunity, giving you better protection against infectious diseases and infections.
- Better Digestion – When you detox, you improve digestion and gut health, helping you digest your food better and eliminate toxins at the same time.
- Better Sleep – A clean, toxin-free body not only helps you look better, it also boosts your energy levels and makes you more relaxed.
- Lower Blood Pressure – As your blood pressure naturally decreases, you’re less likely to develop high blood pressure and heart disease.
- Better Skin Health – It’s important to detox for good skin health, and a cleanse can help you remove toxins that can worsen acne and rosacea.
- Fewer Diseases – A toxin-free body reduces your risk for many diseases, including diabetes, heart disease, and certain cancers.
- Lower Cortisol Levels – Turning to junk food and binging on sugar can boost your cortisol levels, but a cleanse can help you lower them.
Stay Motivated While You’re on Your Detox
When we think of doing a detox, many people get intimidated by the idea of eating a certain way for an extended period of time. Luckily, detox diets aren’t confined to just one kind of food. You can eat whatever you’d normally eat, as long as you choose a clean diet. Many detox diets are plant-based and include lots of detox drinks, fresh fruits and veggies, beans, and whole-grain foods. Plus, many of them encourage eating small meals throughout the day, which many people can actually handle. Drugs, alcohol, and other substances aside, eating at regular intervals and keeping something in your stomach can be a great motivator, especially if you’re not used to eating smaller portions. That can be a big help if you feel that you’re not eating enough while you’re detoxing.